The vXboy is into Star Wars; how could I not link to this estimate of how much it would cost to build a death star?
The skinny: 13,000 times the world’s current GDP.
My addition to the meme?
- Suppose the government takes 25% of GDP in taxes, and
- Spends a fifth of that on defense, and
- Spends half of that on building a death star, and
- Global real growth is 3% per year, then:
- We’d need 520,000 times our current global real GDP, and
- That could occur by doubling our real GDP 19 times,
- Which at 3% would take us about 450 years.
That’s right, by 2500 AD we should be able to build a death star, using plausible assumptions.