This came up in conversation this afternoon. I suppose it’s not that unusual — what word would you use to describe Georgia O’Keefe’s work?
Here’s some possibilities:
- Yonic (which seems to be more about femininity)
- Vulvic (which seems more about the physical parts)
- Pudendal (which isn’t exclusively female)
- Vulvate (which seems to be about shape)
- Labial (which is only part of the female anatomy)
- Vulvar (which is more clinical, like a location)
- Vulviform (which seems to be about mimicking the shape)
Hysteric and uterine were also suggested, but that’s not the part of the anatomy we needed a word for.
Some of the threads also note that the root of phallic is Greek, and the Greeks did not have a word for the lady parts!
For what we were discussing — whether or not a provacative looking bumper sticker was meant to look that particular way — I think vulvate or vulviform was the word we wanted.